Since opening its doors in 1981, San Francisco Day School has prided itself on the high caliber of its teachers. Integral to the excellent teaching is our Teaching Fellowship Program. The philosophy of the program is that, through observing and participating in the life of the school and under the guidance of master teachers, educators early in their careers will gain invaluable practical and theoretical experience as well as opportunities to develop their own philosophy.
The Teaching Fellowship Program provides new teachers with professional development, mentorship, and classroom experience. Teaching fellows acquire skills and develop their craft in classrooms led by master teachers. Fellows study teaching methods in weekly seminars and through instructional rounds. After two to three years, teachers leave confident and prepared to begin as lead teachers in classrooms of their own.
Teaching fellows take part in all aspects of faculty life at San Francisco Day School. They receive mentorship through weekly cohort meetings, regular conversations with colleagues, and observation and feedback sessions with the program director and lead teachers. In the second year, teaching fellows are guided and supported in the pursuit of teaching positions in independent and public schools. We encourage fellows to take on leadership in activities and programs outside of the classrooms in which they teach.
- Planning and implementing instruction and curriculum units.
- Contributing to the continuous revision and development of the curriculum, classroom procedures, and general classroom community ethic established by the school and its teachers.
- Preparing progress reports and participating in parent/teacher conferences and Parents’ Night.
- Assessing student learning and planning and engaging in appropriate communication with parents.
- Working with special subject teachers to plan and implement complimentary lessons.
- Participating in ongoing professional development.
- Bachelor's degree and significant experience working with children
- A teaching credential is not required. However, many Fellows come with teaching credentials or choose to pursue them through local universities or BATTI (Bay Area Teacher Training Institute)
- Formal teaching experience in the classroom is not required but all Teaching Fellows are expected to possess a desire to begin a career in teaching
- Commit to two years teaching at San Francisco Day School with employment beginning in mid-August and continuing through mid-June
How to Apply
Thank you for your interest! We are currently accepting applications for a 4th-grade Teaching Fellow for maternity leave coverage. Click here to review the position and to apply.